YOUTH STATEMENT - 8th ILGA ASIA REGIONAL CONFERENCE
During 8th ILGA Asia Regional Conference in Seoul, South Korea young people came together during the youth pre-conference to discuss issues regarding SOGIESC rights of young people in the region. These recommendations reflect the outcomes of the youth pre-conference and its participants.
We, therefore, agreed to put forward the following recommendations to the ILGA Asia Board and the regional body.
1. To provide young LGBTIQ people with an enabling and safe space to dialogue with stakeholders and benefactors to ensure support for youth-led LGBTIQ movements in the region.
2. To increase the visibility and support of young people to participate in national, regional, and international platforms by ensuring non-tokenistic engagement through scholarships, youth-specific spaces, and youth-led decision making.
3. To build young people's technical capacities, such as through mentorship and network support, such as proposal-writing and financial management.
4. To ensure the inclusion of youth in the whole process of any national, regional or international programming from designing the program to feedback and evaluation of the results.
5. To coordinate youth networks for a holistic and collaborative effort to address the issues of young people, especially in supporting the development of youth networks.
6. To include language around intergenerational justice and intergenerational work to address the needs of age-oppressed populations, such as homeless of youth and the sustainable livelihood of elderly individuals.
7. To ensure a safe space where sexual harassment and violence is never tolerated especially for those especially vulnerable, including youth.
8. To decrease the ILGA membership fees for youth organizations in Asia.
Justin Francis Bionat, Philippines
Tashi Tsheten, Bhutan
Abhi Muchtar, Indonesia
Mandy Chng, Singapore
Doan Thanh Tung, Viet Nam
Blaine Shinwook Mangjul, Korea
Tamani Rarama, Fiji
Saw Zin Maung Soe, Myanmar
Mai Nhu Thien An, Vietnam
Thai Ngoc Phung, Vietnam
Lîm Minae Khînlúi, Taiwani
Nicki Rangoon, Myanmar
Gopi Shankar Madurai, India
Tiffany Gwee, Singapore
Vanessa Chaniago, Indonesia
Phong Vuong Kha, Vietnam
Daryl Goh, Singapore
Harsha Hayathi, India